Sometimes simple is better when it comes to cooking. This Baked Lemon Garlic Cod with Tomatoes and Leeks recipe is a testament to that. For some reason, in the past I have had such a hard time with firm white fish. I overcook it, it becomes tough, or it doesn’t have a lot of flavor. Well, I think that is starting to change and I wanted to share!
Garlic and Lemon go together like peas and carrots! Add in some fresh Thyme and BAM, flavor bomb! For this Baked Lemon Garlic Cod with Tomatoes and Leeks recipe I marinated the cod in lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, and A LOT of garlic. While the cod was marinating, I lined a braising pan (you can also use a shallow baking dish) with fresh heirloom tomatoes, leeks, and more thyme.
While the fish is marinating, layer the leeks, thinly sliced tomatoes, and thyme. Then drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven until the tomatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
Pull it out of the oven and nestle the fish into the roasted tomato mix. Place back into the oven for 7-9 minutes, or until the fish is cooked to your liking. When it comes out of the oven, squeeze with lemon and serve! Perfect with some rice or veggies to make a super healthy but flavor packed meal.
TIP ON CLEANING LEEKS:
To prep and clean leeks, using a sharp knife, remove the dark green leaf end and discard. Thinly slice the leek into rings and discard the root end. Submerge the sliced leeks in a bowl of cold water. Give them a gentle stir or shake to remove any soil or grit between the layers. Drain, rinse, and pat dry.
If you enjoyed this Baked Lemon Garlic Cod with Tomatoes and Leeks recipe, I’m sure these others will tickle your fancy:
- Lemon Herb Pan Fried Chicken
- Turkey Pot Stickers
- Blackberry Mozzarella Grilled Cheese
- Cajun Chicken with Peaches and Avocado
- Basil Avocado Chicken Salad with Feta
Baked Lemon Garlic Cod with Tomatoes and Leeks
Lemon Garlic Baked Cod with roasted tomatoes, leeks and thyme- a simple, easy, healthy one pot meal that can be made in 35 minutes! Gluten-free, Paleo, keto.
- 1 lb Cod (or other white fish like haddock, halibut, sable or bass)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic-minced
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoon thyme (5-6 sprigs)
- 1 large leek- cleaned and thinly sliced
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs (3-4) heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Cut fish into 6-8 pieces. In a medium bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and lemon zest. Toss with fish, set aside.
- To prep and clean leeks, with a sharp knife, remove the dark green leaf end and discard. Thinly slice the leek into rings and discard the root end. Submerge the sliced leeks in a bowl of cold water. Give them a gentle stir or shake to remove any soil or grit between the layers. drain.
- In a lightly oiled baking dish, place leeks on the bottom. Layer heirloom tomato slices over top. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, lemon juice from ½ a lemon, and sprinkle with a generous 3 finger pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes, giving a good shake, halfway through.
- Nestle the cod among the tomatoes. Drizzle any left over marinade over the fish and tomatoes. Place back in the oven and cook 7-8 minutes or until fish cooks to desired done-ness.
- Remove from oven. Squeeze with remaining ½ lemon, scatter with thyme and serve!
Pin and share this Baked Lemon Garlic Cod with Tomatoes and Leeks recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!