It seems like summer has gotten off to a quick start and set a busy pace. With 3 day weekends, kids being out of school, summer vacations, and well lets face it, every sunny weekend we have to be outside, we are presented with opportunities to be with friends and family gathering around to enjoy good food and each others company. This Caprese Pasta Primavera “salad” fits right into that pretty picture!
Full of summer favorites like ripe tomatoes, zucchini, and fresh herbs, this Caprese Pasta Primavera is a mix of all things I love about summer. It takes the classic pasta salad and mashes it up with an Italian favorite, the Caprese Salad!
Caprese Salad is traditionally Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Cheese. Some people like to put balsamic vinegar on top or get fancy and make Caprese toast points (because we cant get enough of “fancy toast” these days, I LOVE fancy toast ❤ ). I took another route and decided to take the classic salad and mix it with a personal favorite, Bow Tie Pasta.
Now, one of the great things about this Caprese Pasta Primavera Salad is that you can either use your stove top to sauté the veggies (I mean its hot outside lets be honest, who wants to cook) or you can grill the zucchini and onions, chop them up, and toss with the other ingredients!
The veggies are added to a mix of diced tomatoes, mozzarella chunks, bowtie pasta, and torn fresh basil! I put basil into everything in the summer, I hope you don’t mind 🙂 Once everything is combined I give it a good drizzle of olive oil, some salt and pepper, and the flavors speak for themself.
If you enjoyed this Caprese Pasta Primavera recipe, I’m sure these other summer favorites will tickle your fancy:
- Garlic Burst Tomatoes over Shrimp Zoodles
- Italian Sausage and Pasta Toss
- Linguine with White Wine Clam Sauce
- Roasted Garlic
Caprese Pasta Primavera
Full of summer favorites like ripe tomatoes, zucchini, and fresh herbs this Caprese Pasta Primavera takes the classic pasta salad and mashes it up with an Italian favorite, the Caprese Salad!
- I box of Bowtie Pasta
- 2 large Zucchini
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (or one pint of cherry tomatoes halved)
- 1 ball of Mozzarella
- 1 cup fresh Basil leaves (or parsley, or both)
- 1/2 cup (or more) good extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and salt HEAVILY (* this is how we can season the pasta as the water is absorbed). Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside
- As the pasta is cooking, chop all veggies, tomatoes, and mozzarella to a similar size.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium high heat, add in some oil (or butter) and sauté the zucchini and onions until softened but not mushy, 5-7 minutes. Season with a dash of salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooked pasta, sautéed veggies, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and torn basil.
- Give the whole salad a heavy drizzle of EVOO (the good stuff, see above), about 1/2 a cup or more and mix together.
- Season with large dash of salt and pepper and taste, add more salt if needed. if eating later, cover and let sit in the fridge until you are ready to eat!
- This salad will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days, but good luck having it last that long!
- This is a recipe for 6 helpings, it is easy to cut the recipe in half using one zucchini, one tomato, etc.
Pin and share this Caprese Pasta Primavera recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!