I was scrolling Pinterest a while back and came across a recipe that inspired this Citrus Fennel Burrata Salad! Exploring the vast world of citrus is the easiest way to add a little brightness to these cold months. After all, if you stick to the same old oranges and clementines all winter, the season is going to feel a whole lot longer and drearier than it should.
I was in the store and citrus was just making its way back to the shelves after winter. Before I knew it, I was knocking oranges onto the floor and making a scene (true story) but it was worth it to find the best oranges for this recipe!
When mixing the sweetness of the citrus, the subtle onion flavor of the shallots, the fresh liquorish flavor in the fennel with creamy burrata cheese and crunchy pistachios there was no turning back. Then, we toss it with a champagne vinaigrette and mint and BAM, there is no way you cannot like this recipe!
I love the variety of shapes and colors and the different citrus options! I love how they add flavor and flair and I encourage you to try a few different varietals for yourself!
Fennel is a unique vegetable. It’s not your average veggie medley and isn’t often seen on the American dinner table. I grew up with Fennel on the table after dinner as a palate cleanser (I’m part Italian) and still love it today! The secret to enjoying this lightly licorice flavored veggie in the raw is to slice it really, really thinly. Like, sliver thin.
The best way to sliver thin veggies is by using a Mandolin. Get one, it will change your kitchen forever! Think of making potato chips, thinly sliced and fried without even touching a knife.. yeah its awesome!
Shallots are cut sliver thin, too. Or if sliced shallots are too strong for you, chop about 1 tablespoon finely and add to the salad dressing for a lighter onion flavor.
I almost added arugula to this Citrus Fennel Burrata Salad. And then I thought that butter lettuce would be amazing too. See, the possibilities of eating fresh are just about endless!
But in the end, simplicity won out. But big flavor was not left out in any way shape or form.
If you enjoy salads as much as I do, check out these other salad recipes!
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- Mediterranean salad with Oregano Lemon Vinaigrette
- Chicken Avocado Tomato Plate
- Grilled Peach Avocado Spinach Salad
- Fresh Corn and Zucchini Salad
Citrus Fennel and Burrata Salad
Fresh oranges, crisp fennel, smooth burrata, a dreamy champagne vinaigrette topped with pistachios! Make your next dinner party a smash and start with this delicious simple salad!
- 3 navel oranges
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 2 blood oranges
- 1/2 fennel bulb very thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 Balls of Burrata Cheese
- Optional: 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup mint leaves
- Reserved fennel fronds
- Slice the peels off of the citrus and place in a bowl or on a serving plate. Layer with thinly slivered fennel slices. Add avocado slices (optional) and shallot slivers.
- In a small bowl, slowly whisk the olive oil into the champagne vinegar until emulsified. Add the honey and whisk to mix. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the salad and season with more kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Top with reserved fennel fronds, mint leaves, pistachios, and burrata!
Pairs very well with crusty bread for dipping, or placed on tip of a bed of lettuce for a complete green salad.
Pin and share this Citrus Fennel Burrata Salad recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!