Don’t you just love the recipes that come about from a need to use a certain ingredient or from the need to fill a craving for a specific flavor profile? I feel like that happens on a regular basis for me and this recipe is not an exception. These Apple Butter and Carrot muffins are naturally sweet, full of baking spices, super moist and healthy to boot! A perfect way to use your canned apple butter any time of the year!
During my first fall in Charlotte my friend David took me apple picking. Our schedules were super busy and just we couldn’t find a day to go that worked for both of us. As the season came to a close, I decided to go alone because I really wanted some apples (and for those who know me, I’m not afraid to live my life do things solo)! The gentleman he is, he told me he wasn’t going allow to go alone because that’s not as much fun! So he took a day off of work and we drove out to Apple Hill Orchard Cider Mill in Morganton NC to make a day of apple picking and hiking!
After a day of apple picking, we went on a hike to see the most beautiful fall leaves, it was an awesome day! I came home with a bushel of apples and apple butter is something I make every year. I can the remains that aren’t eaten with a spoon right then, so yummy, and have it to enjoy throughout the year. Fast forward to February and here we are using some of our reserves for this recipe!
I originally got the base ingredients for this apple butter recipe from Pinterest. I left out the granulated sugar and only used a ½ c of brown sugar because I didn’t want to add any additional sugar! The apples are sweet enough and well, lets be honest, my waist doesn’t need any more sugar! Trust me, it tastes delicious with a strong apple taste and a deep brown color from the spices.
The great thing about apple butter is that you really cant mess it up! One time I left the batch in the crock pot way longer than intended and it actually turned out better, darker, and had deeper flavor. Happy mistake!
Apple Butter Recipe
Peal and core apples and cut into chunks. Put into crock pot with the lemon juice, 1/4 cup water (I used apple cider), and vanilla. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Stir apples as they cook down, you can leave it chunky or use an emersion blender (or transfer to a blender) to smooth it out. Add in the sugar and spices and cook for another 1-2 hours.
- Apples (prob ½ bushel/ 10-15 medium apples)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
- Ground Cloves
One crock pot will make approximately 4 pints or 8 half-pints of apple butter. I didn’t count my apples because I used what I had on hand. Again, you cant really mess this up! I canned the remaining butter into 4oz small mason jars. Great for handing out as gifts or storing for when you want a fall flavor pick me up!
These Apple Butter and Carrot Muffins are an excellent way of using your apple butter throughout the year. Be sure to check out other delicious recipes like these:
Apple Butter and Carrot Muffins
Apple Butter & Carrot Muffins
A small batch of Apple Butter & Carrot Muffins. Naturally sweet, full of baking spices, super moist and healthy to boot.
- 1/4 cup Apple Butter (recipe above)
- 1/2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 c Granulated sugar
- 1/4 c Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 c Carrots finely shredded
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Pinch of Ground Cloves
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- 1 c All Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin pan with 6 paper liners.
- Finely shredded carrots and chop well to eliminate any stringy/ large pieces
- In a stand mixer, or in a mixing bowl, beat together the apple butter, oil, and sugars until well blended. Next mix in the egg, vanilla, and carrots scraping the sides until fully combined.
- In a sperate bowl, mix the dry ingredients (salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, and flour) together. Add dry mixture into wet mixing well.
- Divide mixture evenly between muffin linters until nearly full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool further.
- Store in airtight container, or freeze, and enjoy! Note: Great with melted butter, or more apple butter on top! To freeze, place in a freezer container or freezer bag. To eat from freezer, microwave for 30 seconds and enjoy hot!
Pin and share this Apple Butter and Carrot Muffin recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!