Lucky’s Market has the perfect mixture of fresh produce, bulk items (including all kinds of sweet treats, dried beans and grains, multiple types of flour and trail mixes, dried fruits, and a variety of granola), premade food, tons of specialty items in the isles, and it comes complete with a bar at the front. The first time I went with my dad we first got a beer and then walked around the store shopping as we sipped. Sign me up. Needless to say, I go back every time I visit home and I have fallen in love with their Baja Quinoa Salad!
There is a great flavor combination of fresh lime juice and cumin, quinoa and black beans, but then it surprises with a creamy addition of feta cheese and parsley for color and earthiness. I have eaten this on top of refried beans and cheese, paired it as a side to a fajita dinner my brother cooked, and I’ve eaten it out of the container standing in the kitchen. I always have a warm tortilla near by to accompany all of the above but regardless of how its eaten, Baja Quinoa Salad down right delicious.
Quinoa Tips: Quinoa is very versatile and easy to make.
- With a 1:2 ratio grains to water, it is easy to adjust the amount you want to make for your needs.
- You can substitute chicken stock for water to add more flavor.
- Quinoa cooks just like rice. Be sure to fluff with a fork after its done to keep it light and fluffy!
- Check out my other recipes Spring Quinoa Salad and Quinoa Tabbouleh for more ideas for using quinoa!
I have come up with this Baja Quinoa Salad version that is easy to make at home if you aren’t close to a Lucky’s like I am here in Charlotte. I don’t know if this is the exact recipe as I couldn’t find it online, nice one Lucky’s, but its pretty close! You can make this ahead and let it sit until you are ready to serve. It is great in bulk for a party or make it for one and eat it different ways all week long!
If you enjoy this recipe, you will love these other recipes as well!
- Smashed Potatoes with Charred Scallion Chimichurri
- Roasted Summer Vegetable Herb Bean Salad and Buttermilk Chicken
- Summer Succotash Salad
- Fresh Corn and Zucchini Salad
- Citrus Fennel Burrata Salad
- Green Bean and Potato Salad
Baja Quinoa Salad
A fresh, light, Baja inspired dish that can be used as a side or a standalone cold salad. Perfect for a summer dinner or Mexican themed meal.
- 1 cup dry mixed color quinoa
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 can black beans
- ½ red pepper chopped
- ½ orange pepper chopped
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To cook the quinoa, in a pot combine 2 cups water with the 1 cup of dried quinoa. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water has cooked in. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Fluff with a fork (do not stir with a spoon,) to loosen the quinoa
- As the quinoa is cooking, mix in the bottom of the bowl the lime juice, paprika, cumin, EVOO, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add into the bowl the rest of the ingredients: black beans, peppers, feta cheese, red onion, and parsley.
- Toss mixture with the cooked quinoa and garnish with more parsley!This salad can stand alone as a side dish or is a perfect dip with tortilla chips and salsa. It also pairs perfectly with cooked salmon or shredded chicken. You can also pair it with a protein in a tortilla shell and have yourself an “elevated” taco!Enjoy!
Pin and share this Baja Quinoa Salad recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!