New recipe Sunday has me thinking about Brunch. I am leaving tomorrow morning for 8 days and have a very bare refrigerator to work with. With a handful of mushrooms and arugula in my crisper, a Mushroom Onion Frittata seems like a great idea. I am a huge fan of eggs but do not care for them plain so creativity has to come into play when eggs are on the menu.
A Frittata is an egg-based Italian dish similar to an omelette or crustless quiche, enriched with additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta.
Easy and fast, packed with protein, and ideal for using up leftovers — the frittata can be an excellent go-to entrée.
A breakfast Frittata might include bacon or sausage, or cheese and plenty of vegetables, like spinach, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, a tasty mix of greens, and lots more. Variations can include any mixture of the following but here are some of my favorite combinations:
- Ham, onion, pea, parmesan cheese frittata
- Bacon, spinach, feta cheese frittata
- Potato, bacon, cheddar cheese frittata
- Sausage, kale, onion, parmesan cheese frittata
- Zucchini, mushroom, tomato, fresh garden herb frittata
The basics are simple: Sautee your choice vegetable in an oven safe pan adding in the protein and starch to warm through. Pour egg mixture over vegetables on low/med heat and cook until bottom is set. Top with cheese and place under a broiler until the top is set and eggs are cooked though… that’s it! This recipe is a Mushroom Onion Frittata.
The Mushroom Onion Frittata can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge. I hope this is your new go-to use up your leftovers recipe. Id love to hear about your favorite combinations, please feel free to leave a comment below. Enjoy-
If you love Breakfast and Brunch as much as I do, you’ll love these other recipes!
- Overnight Oats
- The Perfect Breakfast Grazing Board
- Spinach Feta Egg Puffs
- Dutch Baby Pancake
- Blackberry Scones
- Apple Butter Carrot Muffins
Mushroom Onion Frittata
“Easy and fast, packed with protein, and ideal recipe for using up leftovers. This Mushroom Onion Frittata would also make an excellent entrée paired with a simple salad, or make it into a sandwitch!”
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and a pinch of salt in a bowl
- Turn on Broiler or oven to 400 degrees (if broiler is unavailable)
- In an oven safe pan, sauté mushrooms and onions in butter until soft and browned on edges
- On low to med heat, pour egg mixture over vegetables. With a spatula push the eggs towards the center of the pan allowing for liquid eggs to move towards edges to set (about 2-3 minutes).
- Once eggs are set around the edges of the pan and on the bottom, top eggs with cheese. Place in oven under broiler until cheese has browned and eggs are set through (about a minute)
- Slide finished Frittata onto plate or cutting board and slice as a pizza.
Serve alone or along side a dressed salad, seasonal fruit, or toasted bread.
Pin and share this Mushroom Onion Frittata recipe for later when your looking for your next meal inspiration! Also visit the Charlotte Food Bloggers and follow my tribe, amazing Charlotte based foodies like me!